Itchy eyes are most commonly caused by allergies - either seasonally or all through the year. It is also possible to get itchy eyes with a viral infection.
Treatment for allergic conjunctivitis can take on a number of forms:
- If possible, try to identify the allergen, and minimise contact with it.
- Cold compresses can help with symptomatic relief.
- Anti-histamine eye-drops are useful for occasional allergic eye.
- Combination anti-histamine/ mast cell stabilisers work best in situations where an allergic season is well defined.
- More severe cases may require corticosteroid eyedrops to bring the inflammation under control.